Leasing Information

Eligibility What are the eligibility requirements for Public Housing?
Must be 21 years of age or 18 and married and your total annual income can not exceed the income limits as determined by the Department of Housing and Urban Development. Residents must have the ability to meet their obligations under the Lease Agreement. An applicant must also be suitable for housing which means that they must have a satisfactory history of meeting financial obligations, especially rent. References are checked for care as well as for records or disturbances or a history of criminal or drug activity. Applicants will be selected for admission without regard to Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Handicap, Familial Status, or National Origin.

Application  Where can I apply? 
Applications for admission to public housing may be filed at the following locations:

MRHA IV Resident Services Complex
677 Yorkville Road, East
Columbus, Mississippi
(662) 329-8735

MRHA IV Eupora Branch
Westwood Park
Eupora, Mississippi
(662) 258-2598

MRHA IV Ackerman Branch
Rt. 2, Keller Circle
Ackerman, Mississippi
(662) 258-6057

MRHA IV Starkville Branch
1425 Highway 25 South
Starkville, Mississippi
(662) 324-6558

Grenada Branch - Oakwood
111 Lula Road
Grenada, MS 38901
Telephone (662) 226-9521

Leasing  How long is the Lease?
The dwelling lease is for twelve months. A family should move when it can afford rent on the private market, however, there is no income limit for continued occupancy.

Rents  How much rent will I pay? 
Rental charges are established by federal law. The federal law requires that no family may pay more than 30% of family income as defined by the Department of Housing and Urban Development, and also requires that no less than 10% of total family income by paid for gross rent. Annually, families may choose to pay an income-based rent or a flat rent which is based on market conditions for comparable unassisted units in the rental market area.

Utilities  Who pays the utilities? 
The resident pays for all utilities. Utilities must be in the name of the head-of-household.